Learn what you should know to get the best graphics tablet for osu
I use graphics tablets to create my own drawings & artworks, and I have been pretty much satisfied with the ones I have.
For a good amount of time, I thought the only people that use these flat devices are artists like me. Or those who use them for handwriting & signing documents. Until I discovered that some people uses it to play games, and osu in particular.
After checking out, I was surprised to see that many people even buy graphics tablets specifically for that. And that makes sense, because graphics tablet allows you to point and click at any point of the screen faster and more intuitively than a mouse can.
And for that, I decided to create this purchasing guide for the likes of you. Using what I know about graphics tablets to help you determine how to select the best graphics tablet for the game.
To make the guide honest & reliable, I decided to play the game myself using one of my tablets. My old small Wacom Intuos 4. The one I had to replace because it was too small for my newer 27-inch iMac.
I installed Osu on my desktop PC (because the majority of people plays on it Windows). And then I started playing it using that tablet. I personally think the tablet can make great difference on how to play the game. Especially when the game tells you to Spin, which is much easier to do using a graphics tablet.
Reasons to get a graphics tablet for osu
Some people, specifically those great at the game, say that they do equally well whether they used a mouse or a graphics tablet. I think those are great mouse users. But the fact that graphics tablets allow you to do better at the game can’t be overlooked. Especially if you are dedicated to it.
Another reason why may want to get a graphics tablet for osu is health concerns. Playing osu for so long can causes you Repetitive Stress Injury, or RSI. While I am not saying that playing the game with a graphics tablet would never causes you such problems, but it will reduces the stress on your hand, and thus can help you prevent the potential health problems that come that.
All in all, it is better to take regular breaks and talk to your doctor so that you won’t have any problem like that. Whether you play osu with a mouse or with a graphics tablet.
What you should look at or ignore in your osu graphics tablet?
Books you may find useful, check them out:- :)
See more drawing books in Amazon
In this article, I assume that you are planning on getting a graphics tablet solely for the sake of Playing osu. If you are looking for a graphics tablet to use for both digital art and to play osu in your free time. Then I highly suggest you read some of my other articles about Graphics tablets.
The things you need to look for in your graphics tablet for osu
- Surface texture:- While you are using the tablet, the fraction of the pen with the tablet surface will cause very small scratches on the surface, this is unlikely to affect the life of your tablet. But it will affect the age of the pen nib. For that reason, you may need to consider getting a graphics tablet with a slippery surface. Or get a surface cover for your tablet. So that you won’t have to change nibs that often.
- Compatibility with your operating system:- This specially goes for Mac owners. While the majority of graphics tablets supports Mac OS X very well. Some tablets don’t offer a support for all the versions of it, especially the newest ones.
- The tablet size:- Smaller graphics tablets are more optimal for osu. As it will allow you to move the mouse faster without much movements of your hands. But you may want to consider a medium-sized tablet in case you have large hand movements.
- Express keys:- This is an optional feature, but getting a graphics tablet with express key will be helpful to get rid of using the keyboard. Because these buttons are usually assigned to match a certain keystrokes. Most graphics tablets have between 3-8 express keys. And in case you don’t want to use these keys. You can still play osu by placing the graphics tablet & the keyboard side by side.
Things you shouldn’t care about when you get a graphics tablet for osu
- Touch capability:- Some graphics tablets have touch capability, which mean you could use them the same way you could use a Laptop trackpad. This feature is useless in osu for as far as I know. While you can disable this feature, I see no good reason to get a tablet with it. As it adds to the cost for no good reason.
- Pressure sensitivity:- Pressure sensitivity allows you to vary the width or opacity of your strokes based on how much pressure you apply on the tablet surface. This is a key feature for those willing to create artworks with their graphics tablets. But for osu players. Having pressure sensitivity won’t help you or hinder you from playing the game.
What option to go to?
The perfect graphics tablet for osu so far is Wacom Intuos Pen Small Tablet (CTL480). As it complies with the majority of the points I made above, and it wasn’t priced that high when I checked it while writing this article.
In case you are on a very low budget get the Intuos. There are many graphics tablets that are cheaper than it, but still allow you to play the game for a fraction of the Intuos price. Huion 4 x 2.23 Inches osu Tablet is one of them.
Beside these two tablets, there are many other options for you to consider there as well. Click here to see all available graphics tablets available at Amazon.com.
The good thing about these other options is not just the price. Many of these cheaper options are also larger than the Intuos. Which may a good thing in case you have large arm movement.