Derwent Inktense Pencils In Few Words (Mini Review)
If you are looking for water colours pencils that allows you to get a very intense & vivid colours, then you have found what you are looking for. Derwent Inktense Pencils offer such ability to create cartoonish colours that pop, with a high ability to mix colours, either to blend them and get new results, or to intensify the colour you already have on your paper.
- Provide incredibly vibrant & vivid colors, truly Ink-like & intense colours.
- Once the colours dry they become permanent, which allows you draw on them again, and the colours will blend very well.
- The colours are permanent once they dry, if you looked the colours chart below, you will notice that many of the colours have an 8 lightfastness.
- A great option to draw on clothes, like silk.
- Giving that you only need to apply water to get the colour, that makes them easy to carry around without worrying of them spilling or something.
- Come with outliner that is water insoluble, which is ideal for drawing the outlines of your drawings.
- There are not much light colours in Inktense colours, so you may have to use many tricks in order to get the light colours you need.
- The colour tabs at the tip of the pencils don’t accurately match the colours you will get from the pencils themselves.
- Derwent Inktense Pencils offers intense color combined with a translucent effect for bold, expressive drawings.
- Each pencils features a round 8mm barrel & wide 4mm core.
- Offers highly blendable texture in a range of jewel-like colors.
- Each barrel is with coloured end tab for easy identification.
- Once dry, the color wash is permanent and can be embellished with wet or dry media. And the colours stay permanent.
- Can be used dry or with some water depending on the effect you want.
- Includes a non-soluble outliner to outline your drawings.
- Available in multiple containers:- A metal tin of 12, 24, or 72 pencils or a wooden box of 18, 48, or 72 pencils.
- Used by Ivana Prokopovic (According to Derwent website).
These colouring pencils are suitable for
- Drawing & colouring on clothes.
- Drawings that are cartoonish and simple, like Anime.
Just as you may have guessed from its name, Derwent Inktense Pencils have the ability to produce intense & vivid colours.
While Derwent Inktense Pencils are water-soluble watercolours, which you can use dry or mix them with water. Assuming you used them with water, the colours become become permanent once they dry. Which you can either keep the colours as they are or to paint over it.
If you chose to draw on the dried colours again, the colours will blend very well. You can use that to either intensify the colour you already have or to blend different colours to get different results. You even have the choice to use some other types of colours depending on your art style.
While the colours are wet, you also have the option to use a water brush to distribute the colours for more control over the colour and to get better color gradients. This can be useful in tons of way, like to colour the sky of your drawing, or to paint a texture of a concrete wall.
Permanent Colors with high Lightfastness
If you looked Inktense colours chart below, you will notice that many of the colours have 8 lightfastness value. Meaning that they can resist light the most.
The permanent nature of these colours mean that they are very suitable for drawing & colouring on many types of clothes. You can even use the to draw on drawing mediums like canvas.
Derwent Inktense Pencils come with outliner that is water insoluble, which doesn’t dissolve with water, that makes it very ideal for drawing the outlines of your drawings.
Since you need to use water to get the colours to spill, Derwent Inktense Pencils are great to carry around without worrying about them to spill while you are carrying them around.
So just like I called them at the beginning of tho review, Derwent Inktense Pencils are intense & feel inky indeed. Exactly just how the word Inktese sounds like a mix of the words ink and intense.
Also Suitable for anime, manga & cartoon in general
Derwent Inktense Pencils are suitable for colouring styles that are cartoonish and simple, like Anime. Derwent even have Derwent Master High School Manga Drawing Set. Which contains the following:-
- 12 Derwent Inktense pencils.
- Paint brush (To distribute your colours .
- A4 hard back Sketchbook with 25 sheets of paper.
- Tutorials CD.
Come in many kinds of containers.
Just like many of Derwent products, Derwent Inktense pencils usually come in a Tin box or a Wooden box.
And in case you are interested, there is a pack of 6 pencils that doesn’t come in a container, which is ideal in case you just want to try Derwent Inktense pencils without having to spend much on them.
The Tin Box
The tin box come with either 12, 24, 36 or 72 pencils respectively, in case of the tin box with 72 pencils, the colours come in two trays, which 36 colours in each one.
Kindly find the tin box or pack that suits your need below:-
The Wooden box
Derwent Inktense pencils wooden box, which is more expensive than the tin box, is a nice way to get the colours in.
The colours come in the newer wooden box from derwent, which features two hinged sides, with colours lined up in each side of the box.
There is a wooden stick that holds the pencils in their place and prevents them from falling while you open or close the box.
Derwent wooden box is a very nice way to carry your pencils around in case you don’t like Derwent tin boxes. The problem is, the wooden box is usually more expensive than the any of the tin boxes.
Tip:- In case you find the Wooden box to be expensive, you can get it only once, and then order a tin box every time you get a new set of Derwent Pencils, and reuse the Wooden Box over & over. That way, you get to have the elegant Derwent wooden box with you as you go, and without having to pay for it every time you get new pencils.
Kindly find the wooden box set that suits your needs:-
What colours will you get in each pack?
Kindly find below the Inktense colours chart, which I got from Derwent’s website. The chart marks which colours comes in various types of boxes & packs.
The LF in the chart indicates the lightfastness of each colour. (How much the colors are permanent or how much they can resist light. Lightfastness ranges from 1 to 8, where 8 is the most permanent).
Click on the picture to view it in full size.
Since these colours are meant to be permanent, you probably noticed how high lightfastness these colours have in general.
If you want colouring pencils that are very intense, Derwent Inktense Pencils is the way to go. It will allow you to create artworks with vivid colours, and the joy of blending on the colours or intensifying them after they dry is so much fun. They are water colours that I highly recommend you to try if you have not already.
Other Reviews for Derwent drawing & colouring pencils.
- Derwent Colorsoft Pencils, 4mm Core, Metal Tin, 72 Count (0701029) Review.
- Derwent Colored Pencils 72 Studio, 3.4mm Core, Wooden Box, 72 Count (32199) Review.
You may also be interested in:-
- Pentel Arts Aquash Water Brush Assorted Tips, Pack of 3 (FRHBFMBP3).
- Derwent Blender and Burnisher Pencil Set (2301774).