Pages Count:- 384
Figure Drawing For Dummies is suitable for:- The author says that the book is for beginners in figure drawing. Specially those with zero knowledge in drawing. But I can see some medium-level artists getting benefits from reading it. It is not %100 comprehensive when it come to anatomy and some other topics. But it is a good start. I don’t recommend it for those who already know much about drawing the human figure.
This is the first review I write in this sweet blog. I plan to review some art books from time to time, as the more books you read about art, the better. To make the reviews easier to read, I though it would be much easier to list the information as points.
Figure Drawing For Dummies In Few Points
- The author likes to use puns a lot in the headings of each section
- Covers the following topics:-
- Drawing Tools in details
- Drawing the head in more than one direction(front, back, side and three-quarter)
- The head features, expressions hair, and this includes explaining each part of the face to a good extent(the eyes, nose…. etc)
- Drawing the hair, many different styles. For both male & female
- The figure bone structure and the head-count method
- Covers proportions to a good extent. And for many stages of life
- A good introduction into perspective drawing
- Introduction to composition as well
- Creating guidelines using Mannequins & stick figures
- Drawing clothes, including drapes and folds, in a good amount of details
- Places to study figures and figure drawing.
- Drawing the figure in motions.
Pros of Figure Drawing For Dummies
- Offers a good introduction in figure drawing. Assuming that the reader knows nothing about that at all
- The book is well organised. Which makes it easier to read
- Contains a good guide for drawing tools. And the writer speak about them in passion. Though some people would think of that as an overkill.
- A good start for the beginners of the human body. Though you may need to read more books if you are serious about drawing.
Cons of Figure Drawing For Dummies
- The book doesn’t focus much on anatomy. And kind of rushes through it. So I don’t recommend it as a reference for that
- The writer use extremely detailed way in his instructions. To the way it made it a bit hard to read. Fortunately, the main part of each step is shown in bold so you could skip the details in case you want that. But it would still be preferred if the author was more brief than that.
- The book doesn’t present that many Poses with all honesty, this includes the chapter on “figure in motion”
While Figure Drawing For Dummies has many good sides, I don’t think it is suitable for many artists. Though you many need another book to learn about other aspects of drawing. Like Anatomy & perspective drawing.