Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Review in short (Mini Review)
The Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch is a great product, it provides a great value for its price. Many people like it, It is good for anyone new to digital art for both photo editing and drawing. And just like the Bamboo line of tablets, I think the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch can be suitable to many professionals as well.
Because some people weren’t not so happy with it, you should get the tablet from somewhere where you could return it in case you were one of those unlucky few.
Pros of Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch
- Very small and portable, this specially goes to the small-sized Intuos
- Works and compatible with Linux (but makes sure your distress supports it)
- It is relatively cheap price makes it a great way to play games like OSU
- A great starting point for those who want to start with digital art
- Comes with 3 spare nibs, which are found in the compartment at the button of the tablet.
- Wireless kits allows you to work without cables
- A very good value for its price
Cons of Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch
- The nibs wear faster than the previous models
- The wireless kit is sold separately, but giving the price of the tablet, this probably can’t be avoided.
- The cord that comes with it is too short
- For the owners for the older Wacom tablets(specially the Intuos 2,3 and 4), the surface will seem rough in comparison. And you may need to consider getting a surface protector to solve this problem.
- Some people had reported a lag with the tablet, while these people are minority, you should be careful about that
- Some people reported shaky or unreliable cursor problems
- Doesn’t come with a Physical pen holder like the pricier models do, here is how the pen holder looks like:-
- 1024 level of pressure sensitivity (Both the nib and the eraser)
- Comes with graphics software from Autodesk (downloadable from the Internaet). downloadable only twice
- Multi Touch gestures (scroll, zoom, rotate, swipe). Allowing you to use it as a track point to some degree
- Active area:- 6 X 3.7 inches
- Comes with 3 replacement nibs
- 4 express keys that can be customised to do various of things.
- Comes with a downloadable software(Autodesk Sketchbook Express and Art Rage 3 Studio)
- Active area is 8.5 x 5.3 inches for the medium-sized model is, 6 x 3.7 inches for the small-sized one.
Getting a graphics tablet is one of the things many digital artists wonder about when they get a bit into digital art. And in my opinions, anyone who works in this field, whether professional or a hobby, should get one. Read my piece Should I buy a drawing tablet? Answering a tough question to know more.
The Intuos name used to name the professional line of Wacom tablets, and Bamboo for the non-professional. But as of the last line of tablets, Wacom has dropped the Bamboo name, and started to use the Intuos instead, and the professional tablets are now called Intuos Pro(Reviewed here). This may cause some confusion for those who didn’t know about the name change, but as long you did research before buying, you will be fine.
Good Value For The Price
The Wacom Intuos Pen And Touch is a very nice tablet for its price, it provides 1024 level of pressure sensitivity, which is enough for most use ( It is still debatable if human can distinguish between 1024 and 2048 levels of pressure). The pressure sensitivity is available for both the pen tip and the eraser. Offer a rough surface that gives the same feeling of paper. This may not be nice for many people who are used to the smoother tablets than came before it, specially that it may tend to wear out the nibs a bit faster(unless you have a surface protector, which will solve this problem for you). But I personally see this gives you more control in the lines you are drawing.
Sneaky Replacement Nibs
Speaking of nibs, the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch comes with three replacement nibs, hidden in the back compartment of the tablet, it a if Wacom is playing pranks with its customers, giving how I didn’t know that my Intuos 4 tablet comes with replacement nibs until after a while from getting it.
Free Bundled Downloadable Software
The Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch comes with downloaded able software, Autodesk Sketchbook Express and Art Rage 3 Studio, be aware than you are only allowed to download these software from Wacom website twice, after that, you won’t be allowed to download them at all.
The Wireless Kit And the usb cable That Comes With It
If you are not a fan of cables, the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch offers a Wireless kit available (Sold separately), which allows you to work without a cable at all.
One of the things that are not nice from Wacom is that the cable that comes with it is short, this is perfectly fine if you use a laptop, but if you have a desktop computer, consider getting a longer usb cable, or better yet, a usb extender, which is cheaper.
4 Express Keys
There are 4 express keys in the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch, which you can customise to do almost anything you want, from changing the tool you are using to making a certain series of key strokes(like making a selection then smoothing it). 4 keys may be enough for the beginner user, but generally speaking, the more keys the tablet can have the better.
The Wacom Intuos Pen has Multi-Touch Capabilities, And A Trackpad Replacement(Well Sort of)
The Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch kind of double as a trackpad(I said kind of because it may not be as responsive as a dedicated trackpad). Similar to the magic trackpad that Apple sells, it allows you to move the mouse directly, offers multi-touch capabilities like pinch-to-zoom, rotate and pan, and of course, you can customise these gestures to do anything you want, from undo the last operation to changing the tool you are using.
If you are considering getting a graphics tablet, and you are low on budget or you want to try a graphics tablet for the first time, then the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch is the one for you. If you are a Bamboo tablet owner then reread this review carefully before getting it, I am not saying that Bamboo owners won’t like it at all, but some of them may have to look at another one than this.